Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bullied Boy Fights Back

Have you seen this video yet?


When I first saw this video, I was like, ".. you GO BOY!!"

Agree with me or not, I don't care..

I live with a 12 year old boy who is picked on EVERYDAY in one way or another by kids in his class. For an adult, it's easier to see bullies for what they are. Maybe they're insecure... maybe they have issues going on at home that make them re-direct their anger and frustrations on some one "weaker" .. or maybe they're just an evil seed.

But that doesn't compute on a 12 year old.. it doesn't compute that his reactions only make the bully want to bully him more.

To be fair, teachers and school admins can only do so much .. if something happens on school grounds that's one thing.. if it's on the way home from school? Something completely different.

A few months ago, we received a call from the schools saying that one of the bullies punched him in the face.. during recess.. on school grounds. The kid got suspended and then re-assigned to another school and that's all fine, well and good .. but I was a little put off that he didn't try and hit the kid back.

Back in MY day, things were settled in the playground.. so to speak. I've gotten in WAY more then my share of fights with other kids in my school .. either because of something done to me or coming to the defense of my older brother .. but it was done.. it was settled.. and afterwards, things went back to normal.

It bothers me that not only did this kid DEFEND himself.. but HE will be the one getting in trouble, not the bully. You can clearly see who the instigator was.. and because I live with it, I can tell you that the bullied kid was probably taking this and taking this and taking this until he couldn't take it anymore.

Good for him!

I say forget all about the purple haze of huggy-feely-political-correctness and let boys be boys and handle things the way boys used to.

And before you start the argument about guns.. and knives... and bricks of C4 straps to a kids chest .. think about how things USED to be and be honest with yourself about the reasons why they're not that way anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Bullies are the biggest cowards. They single out people they think they will get away with it from. I know adult bullies, and I knew bullies in school: all of them had inflated egos and were insufferable cowards. I put a bully or two in their place when I was in school, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete